Ciao

If there is one word to unite all of Europe, its Ciao. It is used in (almost) every language, even though its traditionally Italian. Ciao means hello or goodbye, which makes me think. What is the difference between hello and goodbye anyways? (Im trying to be philosophical but I dont think its working. Im going to try anyways.) So often we say hello to someone, only to say goodbye later. But do the people we meet ever really leave us? They say that when we dream, we see people that weve seen before because the brain is not God cannot create a new face. So, yeah. I think its safe to say that when we say hello, we never really say goodbye. You might see them again in your dreams. Ooh la la. I said hello to Italy. While I may have said goodbye to Italy, its never left me. It was justciao”. My hello to Italy started in Venice. People always talk about how romantic Venice is. Venice was hot and humid. The only thing romantic about it (for me anyways) was my love for the gelato. Venice is a great city to travel to if youre on a solo trip because you literally cannot get lost. You can only get so far until you hit the water and have to turn back. Plus, its so touristy that if you are a monoglot, and only speak English, youll be okay. Venice is also famous for their masquerades as well as their canals. So, if you go to Venice, after your gondola ride, try on a masquerade mask.
Italian city number two: Rome. “When in Rome, do as the romans do.” Rome was one of my favorite cities to visit. Something you should know: I am a huge history buff, especially when it comes to European history. So, I could easily spend days in the Roman Forum and the Colosseum. Its strange to think that Ive stood where so many have died. It took 60,000 slaves to build the colosseum. All 60,000 of them died in the process. The strongest of the slaves became the Gladiators and would fight to the death in the arena. The thought of that is so disturbing, but that was the rituals of the pagan religions. Actually, because Italy is primarily catholic, there is a cross erected in the front of the arena in an attempt to wipe away their sins the unpleasantness of their ancient ways. We were all born sinners, but it is through Jesuss sacrifice that we are forgiven. There is nothing we can do, it is only by Jesuss love that we are saved and our sins are wiped away. There is a deep sense of religious tradition throughout Rome. A tradition that leaves traces everywhere. Tradition states that you are supposed to take three coins in your right hand and with your back to the Trevi Fountain, you are supposed to throw the coins over your left shoulder. The three coins represent a wish: to one day return to Rome, for luck, and for love. Plus, I made a secret wish that I wont tell you! I dont know about you, but I always like to say, “Amenafter I make a wish. Thats because every good thing comes from God. So, if my wish is going anywhere, I like to think my wish is going to God as a little prayer. I mean, even the Pantheon has a huge whole in the ceiling so that when they wished prayed they could immediately receive whatever God would send down to them from the heavens. Another tradition is the Bocca della Verità (mouth of truth). Legend has it, if you put your hand in the mouth it will bite you, only if you are dishonest. Well, were all sinners and we all lie so that means that anyone who has participated in this legend should be handless. Yet, somehow, we all still have our hands. HmmmPerhaps the greatest sense of Christianity in Rome is Vatican City. The city state independent of Italy that will be discussed in another post
            The next city after myroman holidaywas Florence. Ah, Firenze. A city of art, good food, the Medici, and the worlds most brutal game of soccer, Calcio Storico. Talk about gladiators. I, an art connoisseur, feel so blessed to have seen so many wonderful pieces of art in Florence and to have placed a coin in the mouth (for luck) and rubbed the nose (to return) of the famous Il Porcellino (a bronze boar statue). I purchased my favorite souvenir in Florence- a puzzle ring. It is a gold 4 piece ring that magically folds into a beautiful braided ring. The legend states that soldiers would give this ring to their wives before they left for warThe soldier knew if his wife was unfaithful while he was away if the ring was off. The idea is that the woman wouldnt know how to put the ring back together if she took it off toahemplay hanky-panky. Its just a really cool thing to have and a great conversation starter. If jewelry isnt your thing, maybe leather is (Lord knows its not my thing). Florentine leather is some of the finest in the world. If neither is your thing. The food is, or will be. I promise. Florence falls in the Tuscany region of Italy. AKA the best place to get pasta in the world Italy. Yum! Italy is a great place to go. I highly recommend it to everyone. I would say that I said goodbye to Italy after Florence, but I only saidciao”. 


You cant see me, but my clothes are matching the gondoliers’.

P.S. The coins from the Trevi Fountain are taken by the Italian government at night. Its kind of like an Italian tourist tax.

              
Peep the cross. 

P.P.S. Florence is also the home of Pinocchio.  

Comments

Popular Posts