To be continued….

I am German. My grandmother was from a small town in Bavaria, Germany and my grandfather was a German in Yugoslavia (later back in Germany). And, yes, I speak German (disclaimer: brokenly). Yet, somehow, I had never been to Germany. I have family there but well save that story for another post. Fun fact: if you go to the bathroom in a German gas station, the toilet will clean itself when youahemflush. Thats German engineering for ya! My first stop was in Sankt Goar, Loreley on the breathtaking Rhine River. This town was very, very small. BUT, there were three little castles on a hill (insert Ed Sheeran lyrics here). St. Goar is a wine town. (Score!) If you ever come across a very expensive bottle of German wine calledEiswein”. BUY. IT. And send me some! Youll thank me later!   This wine is made from grapes that have been frozen on the vine. It tastes like honey. Yumm! My big mistake: I didnt buy any. Again, I was foolish. I thought that I would find some Eiswein closer to home family and could wait. I never found anymore. It was too early foreiswein season”, and what I had in St. Goar was from last years harvest. Another tourist tip (besides eiswein): St. Goar is home to the Worlds. Largest. (Free hanging.) Cuckoo. Clock. (Its actually not that big). They also have cute shops of biersteins and Birkenstock (aka the worlds best sandals).
         Next stop; Munich. Something you should know: I still live with my parents. Apart from a brief month where I lived at school for 4 days out of the week, Ive always been with my Mama. Im not ashamed. I love my family. So, being away from them and alone did start to get a little scary for me. At this point, I had been away from my family for approximately 43,200 seconds 5 days. Something else you should know: Im an introvert and Im from Michigan. In Munich, I went on a bike tour with the group. Anddrum roll pleasethe tour guide was from MICHIGAN!! When he said that, I screamed from all the way from the back of the group.  The look on peoples face. I hadnt really talked to anyone the whole trip. Then, here I am. Screaming. Now, I dont know how I even did it. Normally, it takes me at least 5 minutes of contemplation just to give input into a conversation. I guess, the feeling of home is a strong feeling. Strong enough to get a voice out of this 5-foot girl. Lets throw it back to my fave bible verse: “… He will satisfy your needs in a sun scorched land…” Here, we have a different scenario. I was feeling homesick. I felt the need to go home. And God goes ahead and throws someone from my hometown in my path. Wow. God; constantly satisfying. Munich was great. I firmly believe every country/state should have their ownBiergarten”. (A biergarten is exactly what it sounds like: A big garden where you eat and drink beer.) I finished Munich with the infamous Hofbräuhaus. Heres a tidbit of history: this beer hall is where Hitler first rallied his people. Yes, Im a history buff. In other words, Germany was great. So great, I will come came back a few weeks later



                                            The worlds largest free hanging cuckoo clock.



This picture doesn’t do St. Goar justice.


                               Don’t worry. I couldn’t even finish half of this 1 liter beer Radler.  

Comments

Popular Posts